Click for commercial
Click for personal
Comments about Scott's training from participant evaluations:
- Scott's class is the BEST I've ever had in my life. He is super-knowledgeable, yet super-professional and courteous and approachable. This combination is very very very rare.
- Beyond all doubt the best corporate training class I have taken. All of the material was relevant and applicable to my job while also vendor-neutral and of general applicability to my field.
- One would have to be blind, deaf, and comatose not to understand the way Scott presents it.
Scott offers intensive technical training on a variety of software development topics. He's best known for his C++ presentations which, unlike traditional training courses, are primarily based on the guideline-oriented approach proven in Effective C++, More Effective C++, and Effective STL. This approach allows Scott to focus on the intermediate-to-advanced topics that provide the greatest payoff for practicing programmers, topics that are too often glossed over — if covered at all — in conventional courses.
Scott also offers a language-independent course on maximizing software quality.
C++ offerings include:
- Effective Modern C++. Scott's inimitable guideline-and-example-based examination of how to make truly effective use of modern C++ (i.e., C++11 and C++14). Based on Scott's best-selling book of the same name. Length: 4 days.
- An Overview of the New C++ (C++11/14). A compelling introduction to the new features in the most powerful and efficient versions of C++ that have ever existed. Topics include move semantics, concurrency support, library enhancements, and much more. Length: 3 days.
- Fastware for C++. An intensive, single-minded focus on how to write C++ programs and systems that are fast. Covers effective use of C++, the STL, CPU caches, concurrent STL-like algorithms and data structures, build system options, third-party libraries, and more. Length: 2 days.
- Effective C++ in an Embedded Environment. An in-depth examination of how C++ can be applied in embedded systems. Covers costs of language features, ROMing, ISRs, memory management, safety-critical and real-time considerations, and more. Length: 2 days.
- Short courses. Scott offers a variety of focused, partial-day presentations that can be mixed and matched to cover just the material you need in exactly the time you have available. Topics range from specific C++ issues to more general areas such as ensuring quality.
Language-independent courses include:
- Better Software — No Matter What. An overview of specific practices developers can apply — in any language on any kind of project — to improve the system's correctness, usability, testability, and maintainability. Length: 1 day.
Material from the above courses can be combined in novel ways or with new material to create custom courses that meet the needs of specialized audiences.
All courses allow ample time for questions, and discussion of problems of particular interest to attendees is explicitly encouraged. The presentation of each course is always tailored to the background, interests, and objectives of the participants.
Scott's training clients have included Algorithmics, Apple, Autodesk, Boeing, Cognex, Construx, DevelopMentor, Electronic Arts, ESRI, Hewlett Packard, IBM, Intel, Intuit, Jones Cyber Solutions, Kodak, Mapinfo, Mentor Graphics, Micron, Mitre, Motorola, National Australia Bank, Programming Research, QA Systems, Qualcomm, Raytheon, Schlumberger, the Software Productivity Center, Stratus, TRW, United Airlines, Westinghouse, WMS, and ZF Friedrichshafen AG.